Menu

In the directory

Colchester Town Hall

Entertainment & Leisure

Address
Colchester Town Hall
High Street
Colchester
UK

Telephone
01206 282230


The Town Hall, set in a popular town centre location, is a beautiful and prestigious building rich with history and is the third Town Hall to have been built on this site. The first Town Hall, known as the Moot Hall, was built around 1160 and remained for 700 years.

The need for extensive accommodation was required after this time, and subsequently, the Victorian Town Hall was completed in 1845. This design lasted but fifty years as again the Council had outgrown the facilities.

The last Baroque design, which is the current model, was completed by John Belcher in 1897 and opened in 1902. The prominent 162ft Victorian tower was presented by industrialist James Paxman with a statue at the top of St Helena, Colchester’s patron saint.

Opening times may change due to events. Please contact the Town Hall themselves for further enquires.

More places